Saturday, July 11, 2009

It's Official!

I signed up to be a Book Review Blogger with Thomas Nelson, and my first book should arrive sometime next week...woohoo!!! I've noticed that I'm becoming more critical of the books I'm reading - including my son's board books...I haven't written a review yet, but I'm composing reviews in my head. I should probably get it out of my head and onto paper (or computer screen, as the case may be).

I'm going to request to review for Lisa Roe, Online Publicist. Hopefully, I'm not too inexperienced for what she needs. Everybody has to start somewhere, right?

Currently, I'm reading almost anything by Bernard Cornwell. I picked up LORDS OF THE NORTH from the library this morning - book 3 in his Saxon Tales series. I enjoy his style of writing. In this series, the story is told by Uhtred of Bebbanburg (or Uhtred Uhtredson OR Uhtred Ragnarson - whichever identity he needs to use at the moment), but it's told from his perspective as an older man, meaning he's able to give a little insight into his thought process and actions, and how the outcome of the moment may or may not impact the future greatly. And yet, he manages to do it without giving away what's going to happen next. He dislikes King Alfred for his arrogance, his religion, and because he's not a warrior; King Alfred dislikes Uhtred because he refuses to become Christian and for being so unlike anyone else he surrounds himself with. Yet they need each other and are inextricably linked if Alfred is to become more than just king of Wessex.

I'm looking at the Arthur series that he's written...it's next on my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment